MS, RD, LD
Eating disorder dietitian in Columbia, Maryland
Hi, I’m Kathryn Karukas! I’m a weight inclusive eating disorder dietitian in Maryland. I see clients in person in our Columbia, MD office and offer convenient virtual appointments to clients throughout Maryland, DC, Virginia, Colorado and Pennsylvania.
Let me tell you a little bit about myself. I was born and raised in Maryland but have lived elsewhere for 7 years before recently moving back. Traveling is one of my favorite things to do; I love to explore new places and try new food along the way. I am a huge sports fan (Go Ravens!) and love going to games! I enjoy doing anything outside, especially going to the beach and attending summer concerts!
My passion for dismantling diet culture stems from my experience as a high school athlete and a college student while struggling with disordered eating. During my undergraduate education, I found myself very frustrated with the weight centric approach to nutrition education. I remember thinking, there has to be another way! During my dietetic internship, I was introduced to Intuitive Eating and Health at Every Size. This had a huge impact not only on my professional career, but my personal life as well, and I never looked back! Throughout my education, career and personal experiences, I have witnessed firsthand how much of an impact diet culture has on our everyday life, whether we realize it or not.
I strive to be someone for my clients that I wish I had when I was trying to navigate all of the nutrition information. I view our work together as collaborative; clients are the experts on their own bodies and their own lives experiences. I aim to make sure these experiences are heard and acknowledged and that my clients and their families feel supported during our work together.
We aim to match each of our clients with the eating disorder dietitian that best meets their needs.
You and I would be a great fit if:
- You’re in eating disorder recovery or struggle with disordered eating
- You’re looking for weight inclusive and intuitive eating aligned nutrition care
- You’ve felt disregarded or mislead by other medical providers and are looking for someone to advocate for you
- You’re an athlete struggling with your relationship with food and looking to take the diet culture out of sports culture
- You’re looking for someone to simplify and make sense of the contradicting nutrition advice you’ve received (thanks, diet culture)
- You want an energetic, compassionate, yet direct dietitian to challenge your disordered eating thoughts
My typical client includes:
- Clients of all genders age 13 and older (including their families)
- College students who need extra support while in school
- High school and college athletes who are looking to improve their performance and relationship with food
- Young adults making transitions from college to “adult” life
- Anyone! I would love to schedule a discovery call with you and learn more about how Courage to Nourish can support your nutrition needs.